100 years strong. And growing.
In November, 1911, a group of citizens of Spencer, West Virginia met to discuss banking in the Mid-Ohio Valley. Their goal was to establish a community bank that could offer the same services as larger banking conglomerates, but, on a more personal scale. In December, their charter was granted and First National Bank was established.
First National Bank ofﬁcially opened for business a few months later. With deposits steadily growing, by the end of 1912, the site of the old Adams and Johnson Livery barn became home to the new three-story bank.
In 1944, a committee headed by president T.V. Foster led the merger with First National Bank of Reedy. Five years later, the organization purchased the Roane County Bank – tripling capital stock from $50,000 to $150,000. Under the leadership of James F. McCulty, who took over as president and CEO in August 1994, FNB continued to ﬂourish and in 1998 FNB expanded into Parkersburg, WV.
Today, our three ofﬁces still maintain the same mission of bringing superior service to our customers. In November of 2006, the bank changed from a national to a state-chartered bank, and marked the change with a new name – First Neighborhood Bank. After all, we’ve always been about neighbors helping neighbors, and now our name reﬂects that commitment to the communities we serve.
In 2011, the bank marked another historic milestone, as we celebrated our 100th anniversary.